Conducting CA Negotiations: How to communicate, influence and adapt at the bargaining table
Increasing Union activity? Collective Agreement negotiations coming up?
Avoid the current bargaining table battleground and potential strike fallout.
Reaching agreement with employees and unions does not need to be hard!
Negotiating Behaviours used in 2019
- An in-depth understanding of the four negotiating styles and how this can be used to control the discussions
- Identifying your own dominant negotiating style and how this benefits you in negotiations when under pressure
- When to change your behavioural style during negotiations to gain leverage
- Tuning into your opponent's negotiating style and thereby creating a climate for agreement
- Verbal and non-verbal communication and how to use this to ensure the correct messages are getting through
- Understanding the different unions approaches in 2018/19 and how to best respond to this
The Lead Negotiator
- Understanding the special skills required to be successful in leading the management team in CA/ Union negotiations in 2019
- How to follow a structured yet flexible approach
- Tools and techniques for managing internal organizational politics and executives with changing priorities.
- Managing communication during periods of turbulence
- Recognising the tactics used by unions during negotiations and how to respond in a way that does not de-rail the discussion
- How to move away from positional game-playing and towards the real business issues faced by employers and employees in 2019
- How to work effectively with union negotiators to achieve acceptable outcomes. What not to do!
- Reading union negotiators correctly when they make claims or are responding to company claims
- The different techniques and methods for dealing with difficult or unreasonable negotiators.
- A technique for dealing with inexperienced or incompetent negotiators at the bargaining table
Who Should Attend
- All managers who are directly involved in discussions at the bargaining table. This can include HR, Operations, Service Managers and IR/ER specialists
- Newly appointed or recently promoted persons, nominated to lead or actively participate in upcoming EA negotiations
- Operations & Line persons managing groups of people in highly unionised organisations, with a history of difficult and/or drawn out CA negotiations
- Senior Executives or Business owners managing unionised businesses
“I found the workshop well-paced, informative and I would recommend it to those involved in Negotiating with Unions."
Jenny van Workum, HR Manager, Nelson Forests
“Great workshop that will help me immensely in my role as a company representative in Union negotiations. Everyone involved in negotiations should do this.”
Craig Adams, Auckland S&W Manager, T&G Global
“Great workshop, enjoyed the role plays as they gave great understanding of what to expect”
Tracy Goss, General Manager, Kaituna Sawmill
Can’t see what you want? Contact the team to discuss a fully-customised in-house training option.