Negotiating Behaviours used in 2018/19
- An in-depth understanding of the four negotiating styles and how this can be used to control the discussions
- Identifying your own dominant negotiating style and how this benefits you in negotiations when under pressure
- When to change your behavioural style during negotiations to gain leverage
- Tuning into your opponent's negotiating style and thereby creating a climate for agreement
- Verbal and non-verbal communication and how to use this to ensure the correct messages are getting through
- Understanding the different unions approaches in 2018/19 and how to best respond to this
The Lead Negotiator
- Understanding the special skills required to be successful in leading the management team in CA/ Union negotiations in 2018/19
- How to follow a structured yet flexible approach
- Tools and techniques for managing internal organizational politics and executives with changing priorities.
- Managing communication during periods of turbulence
- Recognising the tactics used by unions during negotiations and how to respond in a way that does not de-rail the discussion
- How to move away from positional game-playing and towards the real business issues faced by employers and employees in 2018/19
- How to work effectively with union negotiators to achieve acceptable outcomes. What not to do!
- Reading union negotiators correctly when they make claims or are responding to company claims
- The different techniques and methods for dealing with difficult or unreasonable negotiators.
- A technique for dealing with inexperienced or incompetent negotiators at the bargaining table
Who Should Attend
- All managers who are directly involved in discussions at the bargaining table. This can include HR, Operations, Service Managers and IR/ER specialists
- Newly appointed or recently promoted persons, nominated to lead or actively participate in upcoming EA negotiations
- Operations & Line persons managing groups of people in highly unionised organisations, with a history of difficult and/or drawn out CA negotiations
- Senior Executives or Business owners managing unionised businesses
“I found the workshop well-paced, informative and I would recommend it to those involved in Negotiating with Unions."
Jenny van Workum, HR Manager, Nelson Forests
“Great workshop that will help me immensely in my role as a company representative in Union negotiations. Everyone involved in negotiations should do this.”
Craig Adams, Auckland S&W Manager, T&G Global
“Great workshop, enjoyed the role plays as they gave great understanding of what to expect”
Tracy Goss, General Manager, Kaituna Sawmill