This informative and practical workshop is designed for people wishing to learn the collective bargaining process from beginning to end. It focuses on key concepts and processes that enhance skills. Attending this and our Masterclass session results in cost efficient deals for organisations. Workshops are presented in a user-friendly, non-threatening environment. You will receive a confidential analysis of your personal negotiating profile.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Looking for a quick upskill, refresher or a solid framework for upcoming negotiations? This workshop is suitable for experienced and first-time negotiators alike. Whether you’re a manager who negotiates CA’s infrequently and needs an update on the latest issues, tactics and strategies, an HR generalist looking for a comprehensive A-Z of modern collective bargaining, or a seasoned bargaining expert looking for fresh ideas, then this workshop will deliver.
8:30am - 5pm
- Collective Bargaining principles and practices
- Detailed overview of the ritual followed by unions when negotiating with employers
- Understanding the interaction between politics, power and unions at a National, Regional and local level
- The collective psychology vs. the role of the individual
- Why the positional & adversarial negotiating model is still the most commonly used. What other options exist?
- Preparation & planning and how this differs substantially between unions and management
- Who are the key players and what essential attributes are required to be successful
- A realistic and practical risk assessment process before starting negotiations
- Review of changes and practises to collective bargaining legislation
- New legal options for employers
Planning and getting ready for bargaining
- How to develop a detailed business case which ensures a common clarity of purpose
- Getting the costing and financials right and establishing organisational priorities
- Understanding and applying the total labour cost formula
- Establishing rules and guidelines for the bargaining encounter
- When and how to exchange and cost claims
- Communications strategy and tactics both internally and externally – who is responsible for what?
- A method and sample document for analysing and costing union claims
- A technique for evaluating the real power of each party before commencing bargaining
Let the bargaining commence
- Method for prioritising the union’s claims
- Understanding the interactive structure for the opening phase of bargaining
- Where to open and when to make concessions
- An in-depth analysis of the unique communications process when in bargaining
8:30am - 5pm
The bargaining encounter
- The behaviour and tactics that ensure you maintain maximum control of the process
- A detailed review of the most common tactics used by unions and how you can respond to each
- Tactics to pressure you, wage tactics, surface bargaining tactics and other traditional union bargaining tactics
- Which of the four negotiating styles work best in a specific situation
- Techniques for dealing with hostile or confrontational behaviour at the bargaining table
Reaching the end and settlement
- Tactics and behaviours which facilitate closure
- A practical and simple process for changing your current bargaining framework
Practical bargaining – what really happens?
- A practical and very realistic simulation which allows you as part of a group to test and experiment with the new techniques and methods learnt
- Both groups are guided by a coach throughout, in a relaxed, friendly, no-stress environment